Sunday, July 22, 2007

First fruit

I couldn't believe it: Local apples for sale at Somerville's Union Square Farmers Market. In July! These Vistabelles came from Nicewicz Family Farm in Bolton and they were sold right next to the just-picked blueberries and the fresh corn.
I've never heard of this variety and the farmer was coy. I can't find much information about it online, either, so I'll have to do some digging. In appearance and flavor, they seem most closely related to McIntosh, which means they'd probably make a great applesauce, especially with some fresh raspberries stirred in.

I also had my first taste of B&R Artisan Bread's fantastic levain. Big sigh of relief here. Most of the bakeries in San Francisco sell their own version of this crusty, naturally leavened bread made with a blend of white and whole wheat flours. But after trips to Hi-Rise and Iggy's, I couldn't find anything like the loaves we'd grown to love. All praises, then, to B&R's Michael Rhodes, formerly head baker of Sel de la Terre and L'Espalier, for his perfect, slightly tart, toasty, gray-brown loaves. The bakery is in Framingham, but Rhodes says he's eyeing a Boston location. Meantime, the loaves are also sold at Formaggio Kitchen, Savenor's, Lionette's, and Salumeria Italiana.

*I'm now blogging at newenglandeating.com.

3 comments:

Nirmala said...

I went strawberry picking in Brentwood a few weeks ago, and just adored. Would love to do apple picking as well. Your apples look amazing.

Glad to see you made it safely back to New England.

girlrunner said...

I live in CT but work a lot in Boston. I lurked at California Eating but don't get west enough to appreciate it. I am SO GLAD you are now in the NE and I can put all your great info to use! Welcome home!

Amy Traverso said...

Thanks for your nice comments. It really does feel like home here, even though there's plenty to miss about California.